In exactly one month and one day I’m leavin for distant Pacific waters. I’ll travel cross-country manifest destiny style to the west coast for orientation…and a few days later Training Batch 269 will leave for the Philippines. Over the past month I’ve said countless times that I’m excited and can’t wait to go, but that falls more than a few feet short of a mile in explainin what goin really represents to me.
Applyin to Peace Corps gave me something to work towards during my last year at UF. I finally got some bearin on what direction I wanted to move in. Gettin invited to Peace Corps, truthfully, blew gettin accepted into college out of the water. On a scale of one to excited I was the rookie that just called up to the big leagues. But since then I gotta admit I feel as though I’ve been just treading water. This summer has been out of this world and beyond. I have some unforgettable memories with family and friends as parting gifts for when I leave. But without classes and without a job the listlessness creeps in and just galls me. I’m tired of treading water and not goin anywhere. I’m tired of bein debilitated since I know any endeavor I undertake I must leave unfinished in a month’s time. I know many volunteers get over seas and drown in the culture, the language, the job. Some volunteers immediately plunge into every aspect of their new life and surge forward. The fear of drowning and the excitement of excelling cannot, today, compensate for the stagnant straits I’ve been treading in. I want to go and start movin towards my future goals, professional and personal, that for now, I want to achieve in life.
That, in short, is the butter between the biscuits when I say I’m ridiculously excited and can’t wait to go over to the Philippines.
But. A whisper of a breeze has pierced the ennui doldrums…I’ve begun organizing all of my worldly possessions for storage and Packing!
No comments:
Post a Comment