DISCLAIMER: These posts are my own thoughts and opinions and as such do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

In Their Words: Why my students think Volunteering is important

In order to select 20 students to attend a volunteer project in nearby city coming up in several weeks I held an essay contest. I would pick the 5 best essays from each year level, 1st-4th. In all I received 45 essays on my topic "Why do you feel volunteering is important?". I was not disappointed with the responses that were turned in. After selecting the 20 students to attend I then re-read each of the 45 essays and selected quotes or ideas expressed in them that struck a chord with me. Then I took the 17 I'd picked out and arranged them in a cohesive sequence to create a new essay, one created from the words of 17 different students.

I didn't edit, correct, or omit any part of each of their ideas...I just simply arranged the 17 I picked into an order. The result blew me away. I want to share it.

A major problem that affects our community today is the lack of motivation, people have to go out on their way to volunteer. There are so many ways to dedicate our time in helping our fellowmen in every community, but for some reasons, the majority of individuals in this world do not.(1) Unpaid volunteers are often the glue that holds a community together.(2) Being a volunteer develops our sense of responsibility and empathy to our fellow and our community.(3)

The opportunities to make a real difference and impact the lives of others present themselves everyday.(4) But by volunteering you can earn friendship, meet acquaintance, and by getting yourself involve with other people they can regain their self-confidence.(5) A problematic person will be uplifted when she realizes that there are people out there who are willing to help them out. It brings back their faith.(6) Having something in hand and giving it for others usage is a great value of kindness. Not because you know that you have a lot but you know the feeling of having nothing and of course knowing that you have something to give whom others can make use of it more in their life than you do.(7)

I have learned in Red Cross that in helping people you don’t need to be shy even if she is a girl or a boy or an old person, helping is not in the person you want, it is in the responsibility of a person to help someone in need.(8) You experiences how to clean the toilet bowls, you experiences also to make long conversations to the old ones, so you were able to hear the history and also the experiences in life of that senior. To cook for them, to cook for their favorite dishes, to be able to see the smiles, the wide smiles from the grannies everytime you make sacrifices for them.(9) Volunteering is vivid in the way that you unlock yourself, you go out, explore a world, meet other people and help others.(10)

Volunteering is also important because its explored your mind to the diff. views of places, it will have experienced, shared of joy, and to developed all your favorite hobbies.(11) Volunteers must have an open mind, be willing to embrace wisdom learned from others and also let the experience of volunteering lead to personal inner growth.(12) I believe that volunteers do not have age barriers. Young and old can come and help people who are in need it does not have racial or geographical distinction.(13) And indeed, for me...volunteering is an experience that cannot be bought with any amount of money.(14)

I would like to be a volunteer one so that I could aware everyone and prove to them that it’s not yet too late to start a whole new beginning and a better world for our next generation.(15) Filipinos are known for their helping hand but volunteering needs a helping heart.(16) That’s the spirit of bayanihan where people work for a common good for other people.(17)



*the roman numerals indicate year level, the numbers indicate what section they are in*

1. Sharlene Faith Escalona III-1
2. Jamaica Panganiban III-1
3. Christine Joy Melocotan IV-2
4. Charisse Flores III-1
5. Bea Buenconsejo II-1
6. Danika May Rivera II-1
7. Jean Baye Torrevilla II-1
8. Christian Paul Fortazela III-2
9. Angelo Burgos III-1
10. Angelica Javellana III-1
11. Krizela Ape II-1
12. Stalin Ruiz IV-1
13. Amalia Ortega IV-1
14. Ruby Makilan I-1
15. Ashna Rehmat IV-1
16. Valerie Buenconsejo III-1
17. Hernena Rostata II-1


I don't think anyone could've said it better.

1 comment:

  1. You have excellent students. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete